Bags are necessary materials we use to pack items whenever we want to move about our everyday activities. Bags can be made or produced in the form of leather, nylon, mesh, canvas, straw, and knitted materials. However, you can use the fabric of your preference to serve the same purpose.
Maintaining these bags, so they last us longer is something we will discuss in this article. Here we will be checking out how you can prevent bags from peeling.
However, leather bags are the only category of bag materials that can suffer from peeling off over usage time.
How to prevent bags from peeling- Prevent Your Leather Bags From Peeling
Below are three (3) steps by which you can prevent your leather bags from peeling;
Keep Bags Away From Heat
These are the most preventative measures to keep your leather bags from peeling off. Heat can make the leather bag crack and peel; it doesn’t matter if the bag is original or authentic; once exposed to heat for a long time, the leather material will weaken and begin to peel off. Therefore keep your leather bags in a well-ventilated room.
Store in a Dust bag
A dust bag is a material used to wrap up your leather bags to avoid dust from touching the bag. The dust bag will help prevent dust from coming in contact with the leather bag. This will avoid discoloration of the leather material and also prevent it from excess moisture that can make the material peel off. It would help to store your bags in a dust bag when you’re not using them.
Stuff up with Newspapers
When your bags are not in use, you can stuff them up with old newspapers so they can still retain their shape. Folding your bags or laying them flat can squeeze up the leather material, causing it to peel off.
Using harsh chemicals to clean your leather bags can make the leather wash off or lead to its peeling. However, it would be best if you were cautious about the materials you use to clean your bags. Using hard materials like a sponge to scrub the surface is also not advisable because you will unknowingly be scraping off the leather material. Lastly, water directly on the leather bag can weaken the leather material. Hence it begins to peel off with them.
Therefore recommended materials you can use for cleaning your leather bags are listed below;
- Soft clothing material or foam
- Leather cleaner and conditioner
- Dust wiper
- Applying Vaseline Polish
- Soap and water
- Mild detergent
- Soft clothing material or foam can be used to clean the leather bag’s surface. Use it to wipe off any dust around the bag gently, or you can dip it into a mild soapy solution, making the foam or soft cloth damp, then gently use the damp cloth to clean both the inside and outside of the bag.
- Leather cleaner and conditioner; This is a synthetic solution made especially for cleaning leather materials. (Leather clothes, bags, shoes, couch, etc.) The conditioner is very effective and recommendable for usage.
- Dust wiper; This is any material designed to absorb dust from surfaces. You can use it to wipe off the dust from your leather bags.
- Applying Vaseline polish; Vaseline can be used to regain the shining glow of your leather materials. Apply them or use them to polish your leather bags and watch them shine as if you just purchased them new from the store. But make sure you use a dust bag to wrap the leather bag up afterward because Vaseline can attract dust to the bag.
- Soap and water; Soap and water solutions are also recommended for cleaning your leather bags. But make sure you don’t soak the bag directly into the water. You can dip a clean cloth inside the solution and then use it to clean the bag.
- Mild detergent; Do not use detergents that contain harsh chemicals; it could make the bags peel off. Make sure you’re using a mild detergent for your cleaning solutions.
In conclusion, the above processes of maintaining a leather bag are very true and can help prevent your bags from peeling. I hope you found this content useful; thanks for reading!